- This event has passed.
Field Trip: Structure of Stillwater Complex Portion of Beartooth Mountains Front Laramide Triangle Zone
During this trip along the Beartooth Front, participants will observe:
– Eleven repetitions of the Cambrian Wolsey Shale/Neoarchean;
– Stillwater Complex on back-thrusts;
– Lateral ramps (tear faults) in the Phanerozoic section;
– Metal deposits (Pd/Pt, Cr, and Ni/Cu) in the Stillwater Complex;
– Various geologic surprises encountered in subsurface mine development, including a visit to the “Bermuda Triangle” of structural intersections.
Trip will involve limited hiking, mostly visiting outcrops and road cuts on USFS 2414, Benbow Road.
Leader: Ennis Geraghty, Stillwater Mining Company, retired
Meeting Place: Meet at Town Pump (east side by Super 8) in Columbus, on Saturday, August 13th, 2022, 8:30 a.m.
Needs: Participants will use their own vehicles; 4-wheel drive required with decent clearance. Bring your own lunch.
Registration is required. To Register, please visit the online registration page here.